Radiate Confidence in the Weight Room
Updated: May 6, 2019
Fake it until you make it, right?
Do you want to try strength training but feel intimidated by the weight room at the gym? You're not alone! Many people feel this way, and I started out with those feelings as well. The first time I tried to hit the weight room by myself I took one look around and proceeded directly to the cardio room! Here are my top five tips for pushing past the discomfort.
1. Pick a time of day when the gym is less busy. Typically on weekdays, this will be early in the morning, early afternoon, or later in the evening once the after-work rush has trickled out. On the weekends, I've noticed that bigger gyms tend to be most crowded from about 9am until 2pm.
2. Wear headphones and blast some music that makes you feel like a badass. My go-to is Sweet Sour by Band of Skulls. It's amazing what a good song can do for your mental state as well as your training session.
3. Find a gym where you feel comfortable. Smaller gyms that focus on group classes and private training tend to have a more welcoming vibe and can be worth the extra money if you have it. If you can't find something like that within your budget, check out different locations of the "big box" gyms. I've found that they can vary drastically in clientele depending on where they are located.
4. Wearing clothes you feel confident in and even putting on a dab of makeup can do wonders for your self-image. I used to judge other women who wore makeup to the gym until I tried it. You don't need to put on a full face. Try just a bit of eyeliner and a little dab of something on your lips. If you feel good about yourself, you'll be able to feel a bit more confident about what you're doing.
5. Hire a trainer to help you get started. It's amazing what a little guidance can do to help you boost your confidence. Plus, you'll have someone by your side showing you what to do. Find a trainer that fits your personality and will help you feel more comfortable. Not all trainers are alike. If you want to see if you and I would be a great fit, contact me to schedule your free Strategy Session!
Have you had an uncomfortable experience in the gym? Comment below on how you worked through it (or if you didn't, try one of my tips and let me know if it helped!)